Sunday, June 28, 2009

We're all a little crazy

I certainly didn't run on vegetables today- I ran on vegan cake, soy ice cream, and champagne sangria. Surprisingly, this brunch fuel seemed to work for my long run- I did 1 hour and 22 minutes today.

Why is it that a light mist turns into a downpour about 5 minutes into a run? After I have invested that 5 minutes, I am very unlikely to turn around. The first 5 is really the most uncomfortable part of any run. I was soaked and ran through a couple of puddles the size of lakes on my way up York street. I ran a couple of loops for the stairs in the park at the top of York and passed another lady doing the same. We smiled at our mutual craziness as the rain poured down our faces.

I made my way past Maine Med, past USM and finished off my run around the boulevard. It was mucky and misty and windy and I passed a handful of runners. A certain sort of person runs in weather like this...I like to think it is raw dedication, or a kinship with nature and all of her elements, or a tolerance for suffering. I think what it comes right down to is that we are all a little bit crazy and it is a sort of crazy that only another runner or athlete would understand.

This was one of the best runs I've had for a while- I was happy to spend a morning with friends and happy to spend an hour and a half with my own thoughts and this rain that doesn't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon.

1 comment:

  1. Your description of this run makes me so envious! I used to love running in the rain, sharing knowing looks with other nutty runners doing the same thing... It sounds like a lovely run, Angela. And we had a really wonderful time with you all this morning.

    Thanks, again!

    ReplyDelete