Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Beast that is my Belly

Damn, it is a good thing I like to run. I am sure there are people who hate to run that feel drawn toward the challenge of the marathon, but I cannot imagine the months of mental turmoil they must face. Running is my meditation and I still feel myself cursing the morning every once in a while and wish I could be having a 'normal' summer of boozing and lazing on days off. That said, I had a really great run today after taking two days off (actually following scheduled rest days on my training plan for once). I felt strong and ran fairly hard the entire 8.5 miles. I think I averaged about 8.6 minute miles when all was said and done. I am shooting to do the marathon in under 4 hours, which means sustaining 9 minute miles and pushing at the end.

I think my solution would be to drop five pounds by October 2, though I am finding it tough to find the balance between enough calories to sustain these crazy long runs and too many calories justified by these crazy long runs. I seem to be a bottomless pit on my rest days, and assume this may be because my body is healing itself. But I need to tame the beast that is my belly. I need to teach it who is in charge. I need to deny it vegan pizza. I have an especially unfortunate addiction to Whole Foods Sesame tofu- fried tofu pieces sauced up with this sweet and savory sesame magic. It is cheap, and in the place I spend 8 hours 5 times a week. Damn you, sesame tofu. Damn you all to hell.

Wish me luck on my belly battles!

No comments:

Post a Comment