Friday, June 17, 2011

northward

As I prepare a trip to visit my mother in Aroostook county, I am gearing up for a 'recovery' week filled with outdoor adventure. I will run only as I feel like it- no schedules or times. But I will be hiking and kayaking in one of the most beautiful, untouched places in Maine.

I have been thinking a lot about how the city dweller lifestyle has taken some of the nature-lover and adventurer out of me lately and I am really hoping that this trip will revive that. I have always wished to be someone who spends time outside doing things a bit more daring than my comfort level. Truth is, I am in better shape then ever so now is the time. I believe I am going to check out the Maine Rock Gym when I return. I also want to take advantage of the kayaking trips right here in Portland. It looks very affordable to be a kayaker without having your own kayak! Lastly, I am considering starting a trail-running club with co-workers at Whole Foods. Trail running is much safer and more fun in numbers.

I feel like I really need to embrace my current physical fitness and become one of the outdoor-types that I admire so deeply. I think it is crucial that we stay connected to this big wide world- to this endangered environment. It is necessary to be reminded why it is so important to fight to save it!

No comments:

Post a Comment