Thursday, June 23, 2011

vacation

Well, I managed quite a successfully restful vacation. I say restful, but the entire week was pretty full of activity and sport. I managed not to run even once but hiked and kayaked and even golfed for the first time besides a driving range. It seems watching lots of golf on television teaches one a thing or two about the swing because I did alright considering it was my first time.

Kayaking may be my favorite activity besides running. There is nothing more relaxing than being out on a still lake, hearing and feeling the water rush around the sides of the boat, pulling the paddle smoothly across the top of the water, causing an interruption in the otherwise flawless reflection. There was a beaver dam...no a beaver mansion and a seeming mile of lilly pads. It is a restorative, therapeutic past time for me and I hope it is only the beginning of a life long hobby.

The hiking was gorgeous though buggy. I did try a wee bit of sprinting toward the summit which gave me a stronger understanding of how delightfully crazy mountain runners are. Damn, it burns. And now I am afraid I may be a couple of days away from a run yet. My foot was munched upon by some insect and is now swollen like a little ol' ladies. It is itchy and gross and hopefully not infected. Oh, Maine. Summer is so short and the black flies are so mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment